Sunday, February 12, 2012

Technology Anyone

So Recently, I have been thinking a lot about technology. What would our world be like without the technology that we have grown to take advantage of? So I have also thought about how technological I am, as opposed to others that are my age.

Here is how I fit in...

Typewriter - when I was little I used to go into my dad's office, and sit at his desk while typing on a typewriter, that used to be his fathers.

Electronic Typewriter - Then there was the day that my dad got an electronic typewriter, no more correction tape :) This was a big day.

Computers - when I was in third grade, we had just gotten a lab full of computers that we got to go and use once a week. The only catch was that we had to have some parents volunteer to come and run the lab. Well me being me, volunteered my parents saying that they didn't have a real job, they were just pastors after all. They graciously agreed, and even brought my little sister. This was my first experience with a computer.

After SEVERAL years (I think I was in High School) we got a computer of our own, that we had at our house.

Email - when I was in eighth grade my dad signed up for an email account. I thought that he was crazy, how do you communicate to someone else through a computer screen?

My Space - when I was in High School all of my friends were all really into My Space. I decided that I didn't really care, and wasn't sure if I really wanted to make connections on the world wide web. Well my best friend couldn't handle this and created a My Space account that she kept up to date, so that she could talk to me. Needless to say I didn't use it that often.

Digital Camera - I grew up with my nice film camera, my dad even had an awesome external zoom that was printed on actual paper. Then for Christmas before I went to high school I got a digital camera, for the first several months I would take the camera to my portable printer so that I could print out all of my pictures, I wanted something that I could hold onto. I am now on my third digital camera, and don't print out all of my pictures anymore.

Facebook - one of the first things I did after I moved into Manchester was create a facebook account. I am still kind of hooked to facebook, as a great way to connect with old friends or friends who no longer live just down the street. I will say that I am not into all the applications and games that go along with facebook.

Email - all the way through college this was how connections were made, classes were canceled and assignments were submitted. How did you do anything on college campus before email?

Second Life - when I took an online class in college I got to create a virtual version of myself that got to fly through second life, it was something else. I was glad when the class was over and I could delete my account.

Kindles / E-readers - no longer do people carry around books, now people download these books onto a portable computer. I am not ready for this change, I like holding the actual book. No wonder Border's closed.

Netflix - now anytime you want to watch a movie you no longer have to go to the store and buy it, go to the library and borrow it, or go to movie rental place. Now all you need to do is get online and watch any show or movie you could want on netflix. No wonder blockbusters are closing.

Wii - so until college I had never played a video game. I had occasionally played on an old school game boy, but that was mostly me playing tetris or sometimes mario racing. Then for Christmas this past year, my mom got me a wii and it opened my world.

Blog - as of about an hour ago, now I have my own blog. Following Rachel's bucket list, I was inspired to create my own. So after compiling my own list, I decided to make it the base of my blog. We will see if anyone wants to follow it.

Next Steps? Well Rachel is also into pinterest and Twitter. We will see if she gets me hocked on either one of those.

I hope you enjoyed hearing about how old school I am.
:) Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment