Monday, February 3, 2014

Fashion Week at the Elgin BVS House

The first thing that comes to mind when you think about BVSers usually isn’t style.

However in the Elgin BVS house a bizarre thing has been happening. Fashion has been bringing us together and strengthening our community. I agree, it sure is strange, especially for a group of people who have committed to live simply and frugally for a year.

Chelsea, Jenna, Katie, and myself love to go shopping at Goodwill. On one trip Jenna found a dress and when she got it home we all loved how cute it was AND it fit all the girls! (Tim declined to try it on) So we devised a plan. We all wore it one day the following week. Here are the results:





Although not too many people noticed that we had worn the same dress, our original goal. It did proved an opportunity for us all to have a common experience and as result strengthened our community.

Another example was just last week. Katie and I often get accused of being similar. From saying the exact same sentence (which started the first week we knew each other) to most recently wearing similar things to work, with out planning it. After being called out for this behavior by Kendra, a former housemate who still works at the offices. Katie and I decided we would match every day the next week.

Tuesday- Royal Blue Dresses
 Wednesday- Black Pants with Jean Top
Thursday- Grey Dresses with Jean Jackets and Blue Scarves
Friday- McPherson Day! McPherson T-Shirts with Black Cardigan and Jeans


I think we did a pretty good job of matching! However despite this feat something else arose for me during reflecting over the week. I felt like I belonged! And not just because of what I looked like. So much of my life I have felt like I didn’t belong. Growing up in Kansas being a pacifist didn’t necessarily make me the most popular. I also felt like an outsider moving to Minnesota after my sophomore year of high school. Since I have been in the Elgin house I have felt so connected. It is refreshing to live with people who share the same beliefs and values. It’s uplifting to be able to be 100% myself and not hold any part out. Although there are struggles with living in community there are so many more benefits that outshine that negatives. So go out there find community in the unexpected places, even if that is wearing the same dress with housemates.


-Sarah Neher

P.S. I couldn't leave out the men! 

No comments:

Post a Comment