Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Greetings from a Shenandoah Valley Girl.

Hey y’all!

My name is Katie Cummings and I’m (one of) the newest additions to the Elgin BVS home! I’m working in the Elgin offices as an Assistant Coordinator for the 2013 Workcamp Ministry. I’m so thrilled to begin work on the 2013 workcamps (and feeling super blessed to be here)!

Tricia and I on our second day at the offices!
I’m from Weyers Cave, VA of the Shenandoah District. I’ve grown up nestled between blue mountain ranges and I’m excited to check out some new scenery. I just graduated from Bridgewater College in May with a degree in Sociology. While at Bridgewater, I participated on BC’s track and field team as a thrower, tossing around a shotput, discus and hammer. I served on the Interdistrict Youth Cabinet and helped coordinate Roundtable and youth retreats. Super Fun. 

Shotputting at a college track meet!
Jumping for joy after I graduated from Bridgewater!
I dig worldly travel and in the fall of my senior year I traveled to Chennai, India for a year of study abroad. I’ve also traveled on a learning tour with David Radcliff to Burma. Good times. I love summer camp and have spent summers at Brethren Woods and Camp Bethel as a counselor.

Myself and Indian friends from my host college.

A few Bethel camp counselors enjoying some quality ice cream time
on the weekend after working together to clean a camp building. YUM!
Also, I love camping, hiking, and being outside! My favorite color is green, although most of my clothes are red. Sunflowers are beautiful. Legally Blonde is my favorite movie (musical).  “I’m a Gemini vegetarian.” I enjoy fun runs. Dumpster diving is fun and an act of faith. Not a fan of sprinkles. Ultimate Frisbee is the ultimate. I love snail mail. I’m a Gryffindor from District 12. I love to knit. 

That’s all for now. I’m still working on moving in. My empty suitcases are still just chilling in the middle of my room. What’s that all about?

Until next time!

In Christ,
Katie

PS – As an added intro bonus, one of my favorite small group get to know you games is Two Truths and a Lie. Let’s play! Two of the following things are true and one of them is false. GUESS.
  1. In college, I rode a red cruiser “boys” bike named Stella.  
  2. Halloween is my favorite because of the scary movies.
  3. I learned how to surf in Hawaii. Aloha!


1 comment:

  1. Katie! I'm so glad you are a) in Elgin, b) in the BVS House and c) BLOGGING! (I love the BVS Community House blogs, and check in regularly). Many blessings on the transition to the job and the house and the midwestern plains (tip from one mountain girl to another: the flatlands can get a little dreary in winter, but keep an eye out for the astonishing sunsets: with no ridges changing the light, the rays go on to infinity.) I'll see you at orientation in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete