Monday, October 10, 2011

When the cat is away... the mice will play.

Jeremy, Don, Cat and Rachel are all at Orientation which leaves Virginia (an honorary house member) and I to hold down the fort. I know that they are all having a great time in Maryland as they work and grow.

So things back in Elgin are a little slower paced. I am still having a hard time being in the same place, and not living out of a suitcase is just weird to me. I have been working the same amount, but this week it just seemed like longer, harder days but that was for a variety of reasons.

With all my free time I have been doing a variety of things; including watching movies, hanging out with friends, baking, and going out to help colleagues. Friends and colleagues have been great about inviting me over for various activities, which has also been really great. This past weekend I was also able to go home and help my younger sister purchase a dress for the upcoming homecoming dance.


Recipes
Apple Muffins
Saute your apples with some liquid, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Then once the apples are soft, mix into your favorite muffin mixture. 

Raspberry-Pear Tart
Find your favorite Sugar Cookie Recipe and make as instructed.
Rather than making individual cookies, make one big cookie on a round cookie sheet, bake for about 20 minutes.

While this is baking, in a skillet saute sliced pears and whole raspberries with vanilla, apple juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

When the cookie has baked for 20 minutes, then add the berry mixture onto the top. Put it back in the oven and let it bake another 5 or 10 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream :)  

Books
  • No Impact Man - Carbon Book for CCS
  • Farewell my Subaru - Carbon Book for CCS
  • Counseling Troubled Youth - book for the future :) 
  • Harry Potter (1) - I have not read it yet, don't judge
  • Take This Bread - reading this with the Sunday School Class


MOVIES
(I am not making a recommendation by any means, this is just what I have been watching.)

  • No Impact Man - I actually watched this for work. Our CCS theme is about how we can help with the carbon problem. 
  • New in Town
  • Becoming Jane
  • 500 Days of Summer
  • The Curse of the Pink Panther 
  • Remember the Titans
  • A Very Potter Musical 

No comments:

Post a Comment