Sunday, April 3, 2011

Don's Dollar Guide to Elgin

I think it's time I told you more about Elgin. You know, that town we live in. I went to lunch after church today, and commented on how dead it seemed. Spring has finally sprung! The sun was shining, we were walking through a courtyard called Fountain Square, to a nice place called Al's Cafe. And there was no one else around.

I'm not sure if the midwesterners just won't come out of their houses until they're sure it won't snow again - I quickly proclaimed that the snow was over on March 2, after a warm week, only to have it grow cold again and snow one last time! Or maybe the weather reports just seem too good to be true - 'Fifty degrees? Can't be!' To which I say, "wake up, people! It's April already! Go outside!"

So, in honor of springtime, I'd like to give my guide to having fun, eating, and exercising on the cheap in Elgin. There are three parts - eating out, cycling, and general culture tips. Enjoy!

Eating


We've been over the cooking rotation. This time, let's say you have friends over. You'd like to eat out. So where can you go in Elgin?  There are plenty of disgusting restaurants around including McDonalds and Taco Bell. But say your friends are allergic to chain restaurants. No problem - this list is all local, small-franchise, or independently owned restaurants in Elgin.

Colonial Cafe: A fun, cheap American restaurant on the west side of town. This is a favorite late-night snack stop when I'm out with a group of friends.  
Plus: Ice Cream Sundaes  
Minus: No late-night hours during the week


Elgin Public House, or EPH, is a decent-sized pub and burger joint right in downtown Elgin. Prices are good, and like any respectable pub, they have Chicago sports playing 24/7.
Plus: Half-price burgers on Mondays make this place affordable even for a BVSer. 

Minus: The setup is lacking - tables are close and there is no privacy, so you get to hear everything your neighbors are talking about. 

Al's Cafe is another restaurant in downtown. It's at this point I stop and reflect - having grown up in Delaware, I am used to eating out once in a while. The choices were always Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Macaroni Grill, or drive to Pennsylvania. I'm not saying Delawareans aren't creative. Just that, if they are, they probably left a few years ago. Whenever we ate out, we expected to wait 30-45 minutes for a table to open up, since every one else was eating out too (again, we're not creative). Fast forward to living in Elgin - all of a sudden,  I have real, unique choices of restaurants. What a blessing! I know there are millions of people who will wait, and not get to eat tonight. What's more, for some reason Elgin is not overcrowded with diners every day - I have never had to wait for a table in my nearly two years here.

So, back to Al's - it's more American food. I think you're getting a hint at my eating preferences.  
Plus: The best milkshakes around. Period.  
Minus: The restaurant is very small. When it warms up, there are tables outside, though.

Toom Toom Thai: This was a different Thai restaurant in downtown Elgin, before the building was renovated and painted deep red. It's a husband and wife combo, with the Mrs. cooking all the food and the Mr. somewhere in the back crunching numbers or doing something hopefully productive. I'm still not the most adventurous eater, but they offer something for everyone regardless of where they are on the exotic food scale.  
Plus: Chicken fried rice for my limited palate.  

Minus: Ignoring the fact that they really only have Thai food, which is understandable, there's no downside to this restaurant.

White Pearl: Another family-owned restaurant, White Pearl is authentic Chinese food on the west side. The sticky rice comes in wicker baskets, and a big screen TV plays CNN so you can watch "the news" while you eat! Plus: Fortune cookies after every meal Minus: Sometimes the fortune is missing.

In The Neighborhood is last on my list. This place really is in the neighborhood. It's only two blocks from our house, and that makes me love them that much more. They serve soup and salad, but what you really want is one of their original sandwiches. Reubens, turkey clubs, and swiss and roast beef are my favorites, but their menu is full of ideas. You can even make your own! Without a doubt, this is my favorite place to eat. Convenient, cheap, and delicious is the perfect trifecta of awesomeness!  
Plus: They cut prices, so now a sandwich, bag of chips, and a drink is only $6.
Minus: As a volunteer without a real job, I could accidentally eat here too much and go broke.

Biking


In trying to stay fit and active, I started biking last year. Very quickly, I learned how not to get crushed by cars.

Mainly, even with reflectors and bright colors, you'd better assume you're invisible on your bike when in Elgin. If someone does notice you, forget about it immediately afterwards - it is the exception, not the rule.

Of course, always ride with traffic. Do not emulate the guy on Dundee who plays chicken with oncoming cars.

The best advice I can give on riding your bike is: stick to the trail. There is a bike trail along the Fox River that runs from Aurora to Algonquin - almost 40 miles. You can cross into Wisconsin and continue on their Fox River Trail.Except for a few minor road crossings, you don't need to worry about cars. There will always be the tough pro cyclists in training, who will make you feel scrawny and inadequate, but you can joke about their shorts and be on your way.

Lastly, wear a helmet. A full head of hair does not count. Listen to your mother!

Culture


I have only a couple of minor tips on the culture in Elgin. FAQs, if you will, of living in this northern Illinois town/suburb. I've mentioned this to a few people, as my working theory of existence in the midwest. I believe, whole-heartedly, that midwesterners are the nicest bunch in the USA. Coming from the hustle and bustle of the East Coast, I usually try not to make eye contact or acknowledge others in public - that's how we do it. Don't you dare recognize me in the grocery store! You aren't there!

Living in the south, folks seemed much nicer.  The famous Southern Comfort Hospitality. But it seemed like a sugar coating. Deep down, after getting formalities out of the way, people would talk behind other's backs and gripe just like us northerners. Sure, everyone said hi, and asked how I was doing, but it seems forced - like a requirement of being southern.  (for more, talk to a southerner. Or read the wikipedia article).

In the midwest, you see a mix of all sorts - Chicagoans will speedwalk right past you without blinking. Last week, the city sent a plumber in to install a new water meter - rather than ask where it was and get to work, we started talking, and I could have actually tried to befriend him if I wasn't in my pajamas. So, if you live in the Midwest, be prepared to be confused, I guess. You can't tell by looking at someone if they're open to talking in the grocery store, but you can try.

Tidbits


Everyone who's aware of it uses the library. Rich and poor coexist, however briefly, to enjoy a common pool of reading and viewing material - Ayn Rand is rolling in her grave.

Kids get the day off of school for Casimir Pulaski Day. I can only assume he's the guy who invented the chili dog.

If you're looking for date ideas, according to this site, you need to leave. Chicago is nice!

When driving, always pay attention - your lane might vanish at any point. This could be bad if there is a car next to you. Sure, the giant white van you drive will win any fight.


Your organically-grown Midwestern friend,
Don

3 comments:

  1. Marvelous article...for a transplanted Easterner! Love ya man!
    (Dad)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought Pulaski invented the raspberry jelly filled donut...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it was a half coffee, half caramel, Heath shake that A & I got at Al's last time. Whatever it was, it was GOOD!

    I also wish that In the Neighborhood had gluten free bread. I really wanted to eat one of their sandwiches when I was there. Maybe when you're over there you can start planting some subliminal messages for me.

    ReplyDelete