Thursday, January 6, 2011

Welcome to 2011 y'all

As the new year begins I am struggling royally with a topic for this blog. I have been toying with ideas all week. I even constructed a few well worded sentences that I could work in. But, alas no complete ideas worth posting have formed. So, I guess I will write about what I know for now.

What I know is home :) I was fortunate enough to visit home over the holidays. Home for me is on the southern end of the Shennandoah Valley of Virginia. I grew up on a 1200 acre beef cattle and sheep farm. I adored my childhood and every experience living on a farm offered me. I loved it so much, that I fully intend on living on a farm for the rest of my life. (After my BVS tour, and 4 years in vet school that is)

My farm is comprised of its own valley. The valley is surrounded by wooded mountains on one side. The other side borders the James River, and beyond that Jefferson National Forest. A gravel road winds down a picturesque hill and through the main part of the farm. Our flat land is planted with different varieties of horse hay. Tall timothy with cat tail heads, leafy alfalfa with purple buds, and soft light colored orchardgrass blow in cool summer breezes. Black Angus cows and their calves graze side by side along the hilly pasture. White specks dot the hilltop as the sheep follow their well worn paths to shade.










As beautiful, peaceful, calming, (and most other good adjectives that you can think of) as my farm is, it's not my favorite part about home.

My house is approximately 120 years old. It is a two story farm house, painted light blue in an attempt to hide the coating of dust that covers it due to the dirt road that runs between the front yard and the pasture. My living room is one of the best places on earth. On top of an old, unlevel hardwood floor sits two pieces of leather furniture that swallow my fairly petite family. At this time of year about 1/6th of the room is occupied by a huge cedar tree. Our tree lacks the classic christmas tree shape. This is due to the fact that my family is somewhat incapable of estimating the height of the cedars covering the hills, and therefore we typically select a tree that is far too tall for our 7 and a half foot ceilings. This year was no different, and the tree measured 10 feet before my mom began shortening and reshaping. Even with the reshaping it remains more of a large cedar column. But, as our trees normally do, it has character :) The sweet cedar scent wafts into the hall, mixing gently with the smell of the woodstove. While the rest of the house, with good insulation long gone, stands cold, the woodstove has the capability to leave the living room sweltering, and with the dampers most of the way closed, is quite perfect. I love to lay on the couch with the lights off, and stare at the pattern the tree and colored strands of christmas lights make on the ceiling.

I know you probably want to visit now :) But, even my living room at Christmas time is not my favorite part about home.

My family has three dogs. Maggie is a black lab/ mutt that my mom brought home from the SPCA about 15 years ago. She came to us in a card board box at 5 lbs. Today she is almost completely deaf and has arthritis in her back legs, causing them to shake frequently. Mildred is my brother's 5 year old basset hound sweetheart. She has every member of my family absolutely wrapped around her oversized paw. She pads through our house, ears flopping along. Although she was not graced with many brains, she has quite the personality and is fairly vocal when she wants something. Her persistence to get into the house, and the fact that she typically ignores the word "no" means that she spends most evenings curled up by the fire, snoring gently. Lastly comes Huck, our 60 pound lap dog. Huck is a border collie and spends the better part of his days accompanying my dad with his work at the barn. Huck's favorite past time is working sheep. Given a choice, he would work sheep all day and all night. He is the most athletic dog I have ever seen. He effortlessly slides between the wooden boards of the fence and darts around the lamb who attempts a daring escape, bringing each one back to the flock.

As charming and loving as my puppies are, even they are not my favorite part about home.

Although you may have already guessed my favorite part, and although it may be cliche... my favorite thing about home is my family.

A spectacular immediate family has formed me. My parents are pretty perfect if I do say so myself. I have yet to hear them argue or raise their voices. Their relationship is deep and complex, built on respect, trust, and love. Characteristics that I now look for in a relationship, not just in a romantic way, but in every relationship I form. My parents celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary this year and are planning on 75 more... (that would make them about 125, but we'll see!) My brother Isaac is 20. He is a junior at Virginia Tech. Although we have had, and still have, our fair share of fights, we are best friends. My family makes me laugh every day... not just a quick laugh, but a good hearty chuckle. Anyone who knows my family can attest to the fact that we are a strange bunch, but I guess that is what makes us us.



About 75 members of my extended family on my Dad's side of the family gather for every Christmas evening. Although the house is overflowing with people and food, there is a calmness found within all the voices of cousins catching up, and children streaming by. A peace that says, this is my family, and this is love. On Christmas night we also share a meal and a few presents with my Mom's side of the family. That night is another filled with laughter, hugs, and true happiness. I wouldn't trade my family for the world.

I hope that everyone reading this can find the peace and love in their own family. Although each family has flaws, the ones who love us are so important. Sorry this blog may have been a bit mushy, but I am very thankful for the family in the new year :)

Peace y'all,
Clara

3 comments:

  1. I would add pictures... but it is not letting me at the moment. I will work on it though

    ReplyDelete
  2. good! cause I wanna see that tree! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clara! This is really, really lovely. As in, I have one tiny tear at the corner of my right eye threatening to start me crying. And also, I want to curl up in your living room with a good book, that tree, and your fam! Glad you got to be home for a while, yo.

    ReplyDelete