Monday, December 6, 2010

Here Comes the Son



Although it's COLD and snowy in Elgin, Florida was very bright, and comparatively warm! Carol and I traveled to Orlando to Disney World for the Youth Summit Workers Conference last week! We enjoyed visiting the parks and riding a few rides, as well as getting some rejuvenation and ideas for leading youth! 

I will start with a few more pictures to make sure you are all good and jealous before I get to the idea for this week's blog :) (insert evil laugh here)


Disney's Coronado Springs Resort- a quite exotic place to have a youth conference




Seems very strange to have tropical flowers blooming in December


Disney Sunset



The Magical Kingdom- where dreams come true


While being on a rather exotic vacation during BVS tenure is rather contradictory in itself, I experienced several other anomalies during the trip. I could never quite get the hang of Christmas in Florida. Although Disney made a conscience effort to decorate with tree, poinsettias and lights, it all seemed very out of place. One morning as I was walking from the conference center back to our room I heard the voice of Goofy singing from a speaker nestled beneath a palm tree, a fern, and some tropical flowers. In the spirit of the season he belted "White Christmas". Sorry Goofy, dream of snow as you may, I wouldn't count on palm treetops glistening with snow under clear and sunny Florida skies. 

With all this sunshine and warmth I'm not really sure how Floridians prepare for Christmas. Decorations, cold weather and snow really help me get into the Christmas spirit... but is it really the right spirit that I am getting into? Maybe the Floridians actually have it easier. After all, it's not the snow and twinkling lights that prepare us for what is actually coming. The Church of the Brethren Advent devotional lays on my night-stand tempting me to get into the real spirit of Christmas. Its title, Emmanuel. God Is with Us, quietly reminds me what it is I am really waiting for. 

Each year it is so easy to get caught up in the hustle of purchasing presents, traveling to visit family, and eating delicious food. Even this year, in a time where I am working to live more simply and in community, I find it difficult to push aside the material preparations and prepare my heart for the coming of Christ. I appreciate the reminders of the true importance of Christmas, whether it be an advent devotional, or a small nativity scene set up beside our Christmas tree in the BVS house. Let each of us be reminded of why we celebrate. So as we decorate, and buy a few gifts, and sing the lyrics of the familiar carols, let us also embrace the coming light, not just the sun, but Jesus himself. 

Said the king to the people everywhere, listen to what I say. Pray for peace people everywhere, listen to what I say. A child, a child, sleeping in the night he will bring us goodness and light. He will bring us goodness and light.





Peace, 
Clara


1 comment:

  1. It looks WAY warmer than the two times I've been in Orlando in December. Both times it snowed. Granted, it doesn't stick much, but even as a Michiganian I was layered up both times. Did you get to see palm trees wrapped in Christmas lights. That's one of my favorite funny things during winter in Florida.

    ReplyDelete