Sunday, November 14, 2010

so, what is this so-called service?


Clara here. 

Brethren Volunteer Service... what exactly does that entail? Not, what is BVS as an organization, but what exactly does being in Brethren Volunteer Service really mean? While many people who I talk to about BVS concentrate on the volunteer part. Not that volunteering for a year isn't significant- it’s an incredible thing to leave our home and our loved ones behind, to move to a new place, and a new job. But to me, one of the most important things about BVS is the service that we complete during our volunteer time. 

In preparation for a breakout session at Powerhouse at Manchester College on "The Treasure of Service", Carol and I have been exploring what it is to serve, how we are called to serve, and how each one of us can serve. 

So, what is the definition of service? 

Service is giving your time, skills, knowledge, or presence to someone in need. To serve requires that one become a servant, a humbling action that puts the needs or comfort of others above one’s own. 

The service that we offer is one rooted in the love of Jesus; Jesus, who loved and cared for everyone; who healed the socially unclean; who stepped out of societal norm and had relationships with those who were hurting, or culturally unacceptable. In his final days, he knelt before his disciples and washed their feet as a symbol of his love and humility to them, and all people. Jesus even had the meekness and grace to serve his peers. 

As Christians, we serve out of a love for him, a love for ourselves, and a love for humanity. It is my hope that each of us would have the strength to serve someone everyday; that we could not only serve the sick, the impoverished, the hungry, but also our peers, and even our enemies. Whether it is to offer a helping hand to a friend, or just holding a door for someone, may we seek the opportunity to to serve. May each one of us have the courage to kneel before the people we respect, and humble ourselves to wash their feet. 

So, while I get to spend my time in BVS living in community, deepening my faith, and traveling around the world for workcamps, I hope that it is my service that will shine out.

Matthew 25

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
   34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
   37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
   40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

2 comments:

  1. ohmygoodness! another BVS house blog! LOVE IT! glad to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouragement Clara! I needed this tonight. I may plan to do a footwashing service with the youth November 28. Thanks for the idea! Jamie

    ReplyDelete